NEBOSH and Great Britain’s Health and Safety Regulator, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), have jointly developed a new one day qualification that shows how non-complex incidents can be investigated effectively. By learning lessons and making improvements, organisations can avoid similar incidents occurring in the future.
The NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation Course covers the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of minor incident investigation, to help ensure such incidents don’t happen again, and don’t develop into major incidents.
Who is it for?
The NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation Course is:
- Perfect for Employers, supervisors, SHE champions and safety representatives
- Accessible to different roles and levels of organisational responsibility
- Designed to appeal to as broad an audience as possible in terms of both job role and industry
Key features include:
- Developed by experts from NEBOSH, employers and the Health and Safety Executive
- A practical one day course that covers the ‘how’ as well as the ‘why’
- Helps organisations end the cycle of incident-and-repeat
- Ensures incident investigations are carried out effectively focusing on learning not blame
- Encourages a more proactive approach, safer working methods and more effective control measures.
- Includes an end-of-course assessment. Learners analyse a filmed case study, critique interview technique and make recommendations to avoid a recurrence
What does the The NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation Course cover?
- Moral, legal and financial arguments for investigation
- Human and organisational factors that can contribute to an incident
- The process for investigating incidents
- Positive interview strategies and the barriers to successful interviews
- How to interview people using the PEACE model
What will successful learners be able to do?
- Independently investigate simple incidents
- Gather evidence including conducting witness interviews
- Produce an action plan to prevent a recurrence of an incident
- Contribute to team investigations for larger scale incidents
- Positively impact the safety culture of an organisation
- Undertake day to day activities more safely because of the awareness gained
- The practical assessment takes place on the day or is embedded in eLearning.
- The end-of-course assessment allows learners to analyse a filmed case study, critique interview technique and make recommendations to avoid a recurrence
The NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation Course benefits employers:
- Drives down repeat incidents – learn lessons so the incident doesn’t happen again
- Near-misses and minor incidents – such as slips, trips and falls – become “learning events”.
- Gives confidence that the approach to investigations is robust and reflects best practice
- Safety culture improves because a proactive approach to incident investigation has been adopted and can be seen.
- In-company expertise is built
- Learners’ take more care because they have more awareness of how incidents happen and try to avoid them
- Useful from a “business risk perspective” – ensuring incidents are investigated effectively may be useful from an insurance and litigation perspective