Ammonia leak at Shanghai storage facility

At least 15 people died when ammonia leaked from a refrigeration unit at a cold storage facility in Shanghai on Saturday.

The leak, which occurred at Weng’s Cold Storage Industrial Company in the city’s Baoshan district, is said to have left more than 20 others injured.

The cause of the incident is not yet know and investigations spearheaded by the city’s work safety bureau are under way.

Liquid ammonia is a colourless liquid commonly used in industrial sterilisation and refrigeration processes. Corrosive and volatile, the chemical can cause suffocation after heavy inhalation.

Related reading:
Contact us

Let’s get
learning together!

0331 6300 626

Lines open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, GMT

Karon Reynolds

Prefer to talk by email?

Contact us by email

Send a message to
or fill in the form and a member of our safety team is standing by to help.

- John Reynolds